For me, Super Bowl Sunday is about food, family, and
football commercials. Past years, I’ve made Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes and Chili Bean Dip with Baked Tortilla Chips to serve at Super Bowl parties. This year, I’m planning on making this tasty number….Bacon and Fig Jalapeno Poppers.
I made this a while ago when I was doing “recipe development.” I love jalapeno poppers, but I didn’t want to create something deep fried. These are roasted instead, but don’t count that as a negative. I say they are even better. Here’s why…the pepper is roasted and filled with melty cheeses. You get a perfect bite of cheesy pepper and right when you get a little bit of heat, you taste the sweetness of the fig jam that suddenly merges into smokey, bacony goodness.
Yep. I said fig jam. Now I got you thinking, right?
It takes a little while to scoop out the seeds, but it’s worth it.
Fill the scooped out jalapenos with the cheeses, dollop with the jam, wrap with the bacon. Then bake for 35 minutes, or until the bacon looks crispy.
I forgot to line with foil and my peppers stuck a bit. Don’t forget to line the baking sheet.
It stuck a little to the pan, but it still tasted wonderful!
They are the perfect bit of sweet and spicy.
When done baking, serve immediately.
- 12 jalapenos, sliced in half and seeds removed
- 1 (8 oz) brick of cream cheese
- ½ cup fig jam
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 slices of bacon, cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Soak 24 toothpicks in water.
- Cut the jalapenos in half and using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Use kitchen gloves if necessary. If you like a little more heat, leave a few of the seeds.
- Smear about a spoonful of cream cheese into the hollowed out jalapenos.
- Add a teaspoon or so of jam on top.
- Sprinkle some of the shredded cheese on top.
- Wrap with a slice of bacon.
- Spear with a toothpick.
- Place in oven and cook for about 30-35 minutes until the bacon looks crispy. If using fig jam, the coloring of the poppers may appear darker, but they won't be burnt.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com.