It’s January, which means that I’m lamenting all the indulgences I enjoyed for the past few weeks. Many of my favorite treats could not come close to being categorized as “clean eating” including this one, but I don’t care! I was craving something a little different and bacon-wrapped dates with goat cheese was the perfect appetizer.
Just three ingredients: bacon, dates, goat cheese. How simple is that?
I like thick-cut bacon, so I used that but I kicked it up a notch by using the sweet and spicy bacon that my local deli carries.
One thing to keep in mind…the toothpicks will burn. Mine did, so when I served them, I swapped out the blackened toothpicks with fresh ones. You can optionally soak the toothpicks prior to baking the dates.
- 16 slices of bacon, cut in half
- 32 Medjool dates
- 4 ounces of goat cheese
- Put the goat cheese in the freezer to firm up.
- Slice each strip of bacon in half.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the dates lengthwise to remove the pit and create an opening.
- Remove goat cheese from freezer and dice up into 32 bits.
- Stuff the goat cheese into the dates.
- Wrap each date with bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange evenly on a backing sheet. Make sure it has raised edges to catch the bacon grease.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Rotate the bacon, flipping on the side, so that the bacon cooks evenly. Flip again after 10 minutes to ensure the other side is brown.
- Place paper towel on a plate and place the dates on there to drain.
- When cool, remove to a nicer plate to serve.
Recipe from Pinch of Yum.